Chili Cheese Fries - Gluten-Free :)
I can not wait until it is dinner! While I was learning what my good/bad/trigger foods were I always defaulted to potatoes. They are filling, easy to make, and fun to cut. I would be the strange kid who loved peeling potatoes! Tip: My dad and mom always gave me the carrot peeler to peel potatoes. I never got the real, true knife. To this day I would rather use the carrot peeler!
Be sure you have the following – as with any recipe you can substitute what you want and do not want!
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to work your magic:
- Oven- Center rack at 425 degrees F. Line 2 pans with parchment or foil.
- Mix together cornstarch, chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin.
- Rinse potatoes and peel with a carrot peeler! Use a big person knife and slice around a 1/4-inch piece off the potato lengthwise – now it is your bottom! Continue to slice potato into 1/4 to 3/8-inch wide planks.
- Stack ‘em in piles 2 to 3 planks high, and slice lengthwise into 1/4 to 3/8-inch fries.
- Toss your ‘fake fries’ around in olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and whatever grill seasoning you have. Sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the potato slices like snow. Grab a pair of tongs to evenly coat everything.
- Spread potatoes in a single layer across the pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes – mix 2/3 times during cooking to get every side crispy. Remember to add the cheese on top if you want before you are ready to serve!
Enjoy ‘yins fries!