Tuesday, February 7, 2012

IPad Book - Elfishki and The Giant Cake ~ Review ~



Interactive book for iPad users!  Great for children between the ages of 5-9.  


Elfishki and The Cake Cake - Visit me! 
Elfishki and The Giant Cake


From a Teacher's Prospective:
I honesty have to say I loved this product!  It was broken down into sections and allowed the reader to check his/her own understanding with questions.  I often do this in class myself for my students to track their understanding, comprehension, and to increase their prediction ability.  By the time my students would come to HS they often forgot or were never taught those main skills. 

First, I would recommend this to any teacher who has a student that is struggling with comprehension and fluency.  Basically I am saying in normal talk that it allows the reader to follow along with the voice over.  They can read aloud and match the pace (fluency) or follow along and pick out the main details using the guided questions (on the bottom of the pg).  

The second thing I absolutely love about this App is it can be correlated to Common Core standards! When we first started having classes and in-service sessions on this it was extremely vague and there were barely any set materials that fit - we just used our best judgment.  Thank you for actually providing something that we can use!  

Finally, I would beyond a doubt use this as a center activity.  It is extremely easy to use for the child and has multiple adaptations that can link to requirements in a student's IEP.

  1.  Voice over of the story, so your child can listen along with the text. 
  2. THREE(3) Questions on every page of the book  - Guide their own reading comprehension while the teacher is busy with other learning groups.  
  3. Follow up activity!  I always make one of these to be the "Ticket out the Door" and as a finisher before moving on.  This app does it for me :) 
 From a Parent's Prospective: 
My beautiful niece
My niece loved this!! She sat down on the floor and was instantly captivated.  She really liked how interactive the story was.  As the story is being read, you can press objects in the background and they do cute little movements.  Her favorite part by far was the cake decorator!  You can add icing, snails and other gross stuff.  She loved that she could send her creations via email to everyone.  The entire family is now receiving cake creations every time she plays!  Here she is making one her of cakes:





To form your own opinion, check out this 1 min Promo Video of the application on YouTube:
Elfishki and the Giant Cake iPad Book for Kids


Love what you read?  Buy the application in the iTunesStore!  Elfishki and The Giant Cake

****  The newest version, 1.2, is on sale for $1.99 until Monday Feb.  27th!  It is even in Russian if you wanted to expose your child to another language!  We are very excited about the additional languages to choose from - who would not want their child to be exposed young to other cultures?



Teacher Words: 
Fluency : The ability to read, speak, or write easily, smoothly, and expressively.
Comprehension: Understanding  ideas, facts, or meaning *Who, What, Where, When, Why, How (:

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...